Club History

Moorings in the early years

Moorings in the early years

The Lichfield Cruising Club can trace its roots back to 1959, when members of the Coventry Canal Society (Northern Branch) who had moorings at Fradley at the time, organised a rally at Huddlesford in September of that year. Having formed friendships with the local British Transport Waterways lengthsman who lived in one of the cottages overlooking the junction, some of these boaters moved their moorings to the start of the Wyrley & Essington canal, where he could keep an eye on them. At this time, the arm was severely silted up, and choked with weed.

In 1964 the Club became part of the then newly formed Tamworth Cruising Club, with its headquarters and main moorings at Kettlebrook in Tamworth. This arrangement continued up until 1978, when the TCC split into two separate organisations, so that each could better serve their members at the two mooring locations. At this time, a lease on the ex-lengthsman's cottage was secured, and this was renovated by members to become the clubhouse for the newly formed Lichfield Cruising Club. Subsequently, the lease was extended to include the other cottage, which enabled the present clubhouse facilities to be created.

Over the years, the arm has been gradually cleared by the Club members, and the number of moorings increased, up to the present day when the club has some 3000 feet of well maintained moorings. In 1975, a winding hole was constructed to allow boats of up to 50 ft to be turned just short of the end of the arm, and a slipway was later built at the end of the arm adjacent to Cappers Lane, to allow members to undertake maintenance tasks on their boats.

A more detailed account of the early years up until 1979 is given in "Under the Flag", by Alan Perry.